Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hospital Stay

On Wednesday March 23, 2011 I had my weekly doctor’s appointment to check on the pregnancy and babies. Earlier that morning Adam and I were talking about what and how to tell the doctor that I had been feeling uncomfortable the past few days and explain it so that he wouldn’t check me into labor and delivery. (This had happened before, and I had a lot of errands to run that day) That morning I did the usual--attended BSF, got lunch with my parents and Will, and did a little shopping before my appointment.

When the time came, I told my doctor about how I was feeling and he told me I was in labor and needed to go straight to Labor and Delivery to get checked in. After I told him multiple times that I was not in labor he said, “Well if your not and I’m wrong, then at least I’ll feel better about knowing for sure, so just go get checked out for an hour.” Feeling a little discouraged my mom and I headed over to the hospital. After about 2 hours, I was told that I was dilated 1cm and that Dr. Helm wanted me officially admitted to the hospital. This was very hard news for me to take in because I had been doing so great throughout the pregnancy.

After many tears and a long afternoon, labor really did set in. I was contracting every 2-4 min and had dilated to 3cm. This started to make me very nervous because William’s delivery had happened so fast and I was not ready that day. Adam showed up right away at the hospital, and I was given magnesium sulfate to try to stop labor. At this point I felt like everyone was in the room getting ready for a delivery that I was not ready for. NICU doctors were in talking to us about what to expect with 28-week babies. People were talking about c-sections and what other drugs I should be taking to help stop everything. I was feeling beyond overwhelmed!

After a long night, they were able to stop labor but I knew that this was just the beginning. I was put on bed rest, and was hooked up to continuous monitoring of the babies. This means I had four different monitors on my belly and every time I moved or they moved, they would need to be readjusted. I had I.V.’s in my arm, a permanent blood pressure machine that would go off about every hour, as well has many other wires that gave other information. All of this lasted about three days and nights before I broke down and asked for some it to be removed. Over the next few days my labor slowed and I was just trying to be the best incubator for my little babies. I was still continuing to have contractions but they were about every 20-30 min. The doctors told me that this would be normal until the babies arrived. I was, however, still on Magnesium Sulfate, and I would stay on it for the remainder of the time as well. For those of you who don’t know, it’s the worst. It comes with severe side effects of dizziness, nausea, headaches, weakness, hot flashes, and extreme overheating. As hard as this all was I knew that I could and would go through whatever God gave me so that he could give me the opportunity to be a mommy to 3 healthy babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment